Things to Do

HISTORICAL ATTRACTIONS

Click an attraction to view details.

  • 1747 Nellis Tavern

    State Route 5, 1 mile east of St. Johnsville

    (315) 866-2619

    Website | Directions

    The 1747 Nellis Tavern, Homestead and Store reflects the culture of the Palatine Germans. Two ground floor rooms, hall and cellar show original fireplaces, huge ceiling beams and wattle and daub construction techniques. The 19th century Erie Canal era tavern is reflected in the 2nd floor and 2-story, stenciled-wall east addition. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. It is open for tours June through September, Sundays, 1:00 – 4:00 pm. Suggested donation is $3.00.

    Close
  • Ames Museum

    611 Latimer Hill Road, Ames

    (518) 673-5820

    amesmuseum@gmail.com

    Website | Directions

    The top floor of the 1835 Ames Museum, used as an academy from 1839 to 1959, houses many local artifacts featuring Ames’ hey-day as the hops-growing capital of 19th century America. This building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Please refer to website for further information and hours of operation.
    Close
  • Amsterdam City Hall

    61 Church Avenue, Amsterdam

    (518) 841-4300

    Website | Directions

    Amsterdam City Hall is an historic city hall complex including the former Sanford Mansion, laundry building and carriage house. Sanford Mansion is a 3-story, brick Classical Revival building built in 1869 and extensively remodeled in 1913–1917.
    Close
  • Charleston Historical Society

    Polin Road west of St. Hwy 30 A, Charleston

    (518) 922-5867

    Website | Directions

    The Charleston Historical Society is a National and State Historic Registered Site founded in 1978 with the purpose of preserving and documenting local history. Headquartered in a restored church originally built during the presidency of George Washington and re-built during the mid-1880’s, its Victorian features are still intact. Exhibits include local artifacts, photos, records, literature and audio recordings of residents of the community. All programs held throughout the year are free and open to the public. Memberships welcomed. Building open by appointment.
    Close
  • Department of History and Archives

    Old Courthouse in Fonda, 9 Park St.

    (518) 853-8186

    Website | Directions

    The Montgomery County Department of History and Archives protects a vast collection of historical and genealogical resources and original county records. Research fees for requests by mail only. Sept-June open Mon-Fri 8:30am-4pm. July & August, Mon-Fri. 9am-4pm. Closed legal holidays  
    Close
  • Erie Canal Lock 33

    Dump Road, Minden

    Website | Directions

    Old Erie Canal Lock 33 is a double-chamber lock, with the south chamber double-length on the head (western) end. It had a lift of 6.031 feet to the west. It was built in 1838-1840, and the south chamber was lengthened in 1887-1888. When the Erie Barge Canal was constructed between 1905 and 1918, most of the older Erie Canal was either destroyed or abandoned. The 1960s brought a renewed interest in history, and legislation introduced in 1966 laid the groundwork for creating a state park along the old canal. Still, the enlarged double locks at Minden were used as an unofficial garbage dump as late as 1999. A volunteer team led by Terry Potoczny spent countless hours cleaning tons of junk, recording a partial inventory that included 125 tires, a snowmobile, a motorcycle, assorted bicycle parts, refrigerators, kitchen stoves and a television. Today, there is a historical marker, interpretative signs and picnic tables at Lock 33 along the paths and trails of the modern Erie Canal. At the eastern end a dirt ramp allows visitors to climb the stairs and view the lock from atop the central divider. When in actual use, the stairs would have led down to the water level. Thanks to the efforts of the volunteers, the site serves as a link to the past and a recreational respite. It is accessible next to the bike path on Bridge Street, 3/4 mile down Dump Road (a dirt road) on the south side of the barge canal across from the village of St. Johnsville. A sign on Bridge Street marks the entrance to the road.
    Close
  • First Baptist Church

    Polin Road, Charleston

    Directions

    The historic First Baptist Church in Charleston is believed to have been built in the 1820s and remodeled during the 1860s. It is a rural vernacular wood-frame church executed in the late Federal/early Greek Revival style. The 1.5-story, heavy timber-framed structure features a square, hip-roofed bell tower. Also on the property are a cemetery, dry-laid stone wall, and receiving vault. The majority of the burials date to the early 19th century, since the church had been organized about 1793. The Charleston Historical Society acquired the property in 1978. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
    Close
  • Fort Klock Historic Restoration

    7203 State Route 5, St. Johnsville

    (518) 568-7779

    Website | Directions

    The 1750 fortified home of fur-trader Johannes Klock, located east of St. Johnsville, is a Colonial settlement of the French and Indian period. The Fort Klock Historic Restoration is a National Historic Landmark which includes a 1790s Dutch barn, blacksmith shop and an 1825 schoolhouse. Memorial Day thru mid-October, Tues-Sunday, 9am-5pm. Small admission fee. Fort Klock has a membership program for those who wish to share their time and gifts. Members receive the Fort Klock newsletter, calendar of events and the pride of knowing they are helping to preserve a Mohawk Valley Landmark. By preserving the past, we share it with the future. Events at this Location May 25, ’15 10:00am – May 25, ’15 4:00pm – Fort Klock Opening Day Jun 13, ’15 10:00am – Apr 14, ’15 4:00pm – Hammer In at Fort Klock Jul 04, ’15 12:00pm – Jul 04, ’15 4:00pm – Independence Day at Fort Klock Jul 24, ’15 7:00pm – Stone Soup Aug 04, ’15 9:00am – Aug 04, ’15 3:00pm – Young Pioneer Program at Fort Klock Sep 12, ’15 10:00am – Sep 12, ’15 5:00pm – Two Day Giant Craft Fair at Fort Klock Sep 13, ’15 10:00am – Sep 13, ’15 4:00pm – Two Day Giant Craft Fair at Fort Klock Dec 06, ’15 12:00pm – Dec 06, ’15 3:30pm – Saint Nicholas Day at Fort Klock
    Close
  • Fort Plain Museum

    389 Canal St. (Route 5S), Fort Plain

    Norman Bollen or Brian Mack

    (518) 993-2527

    fortplainmuseum@yahoo.com

    Website | Directions

    Revolutionary War Fort Plain also known as Fort Rensselaer, was built in 1778 after the Cherry Valley Massacre and remained in service through 1800. The Museum and Historical Park is 5 acres that includes the stone farm house (museum)m site of the fort, and much more. Hours: May & June:  Wednesday thru Sunday, 10am-4pm. July & August:  7  days, 10am-4pm. September & October: Friday - Sunday, 10am-4pm.
    Close
  • Glen Historic District

    NY 30A, NY 161 and Logtown Road, Glen

    Directions

    Glen Historic District is a national historic district that includes 52 contributing buildings and two contributing sites. The district encompasses the historic core of a rural crossroads hamlet. The majority of the structures are 1.5 or 2-story, timber framed buildings with gable roofs. At the crossroads are the most distinguished buildings: two large Federal style residences, a mid-19th century general store and a distinguished Second Empire style brick residence built in 1878. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
    Close
  • Green Hill Cemetery

    Church and Cornell, Amsterdam

    Directions

    Green Hill Cemetery is an historic rural cemetery established in 1858. It encompasses 14,860 individual interments marked by imposing mausolea, elaborate monuments, family plots, decorative markers and simple stones. It includes four contributing structures: Church Street entrance gate, upper pedestrian gate and path, receiving vault and Sanford mausoleum. Notable burials include congressman Benedict Arnold (1780-1849) and his grandson Lt. Benedict Arnold Leonard (1840-1864). It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
    Close
  • Guy Park State Historic Site

    West Main Street, Amsterdam

    Website | Directions

    Guy Park State Historic Site is a house built in 1774 in the Georgian architectural style for Guy Johnson, the Irish-born nephew and son-in-law to Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet, the British Superintendent for Indian Affairs in colonial New York. Built of limestone, the house was originally situated on a square mile of land on the north side of the Mohawk River and near it for access to water transportation. Guy Park was used for years in the early nineteenth century as a tavern and stagecoach stop, as it was on the Mohawk Turnpike next to the river, the two main transportation routes across the state. The Erie Canal was completed in 1825, and a lock is located near the house. Later, the house was sold and served again as a private residence for many years. In 1907 the mansion was purchased by the state for preservation as a historic site. In the early 21st century, it was adapted for use as a local history museum, the Walter Elwood Museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. In August 2011, shortly after being occupied by the museum, the house was severely damaged by flooding of the Mohawk River in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. Half of two floors were destroyed and contents soaked and scattered. The state canal corporation has struggled to stabilize the building. The museum has moved to a new location and future uses of the building are unclear.
    Close
  • Historic West Hill School

    3 Otsego Street, Canajoharie

    Directions

    West Hill School was designed by prominent local architect Archimedes Russell (1890-1915) and built 1891-1893. It is a 3.5-story, stone masonry institutional building. It features a stone tower with open belfry containing the original school bell. It continued in educational use for over 100 years. It was constructed on the site of the Canajoharie Academy, where in 1846, Susan B. Anthony began a teaching position as head of the girls division. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. The building was acquired by the Mohawk Valley Collective in 2013, which has been working with volunteer labor to secure the building and develop a business plan and investors to bring it back into productive use.
    Close
  • Isaac Paris House

    Fort Plain

    Website

    Built in 1786 as a residence and mercantile trading post, the Isaac Paris House has been home to the Daughters of the American Revolution since 1932. Until 1790 it was the largest building west of Schenectady. Open by appointment.
    Close
  • Little Red Schoolhouse

    Cemetery Street, Fonda

    (518) 853-4226

    Directions

    The little red schoolhouse is a pre-1870 one-room schoolhouse furnished with original desks, artifacts and memorabilia. Open by appointment.
    Close
  • Lock E13

    194 Old River Rd W Fultonville, New York 12072

    518) 922-5995

    Erie Canal Lock 13 is in Randall and raises and lowers boats 8 feet. This lock is 9.68 miles west of Lock E12. There are two old concrete barges shoring up the bank of the river below Lock E13. The photo shows the stern end of a barge with hull number U.S. 102. There are also addition concrete barges like this one at Erie Canal Lock E9. The submerged concrete barges have moorings added on top of them, use caution when approaching these, they do not make good moorings. Also no...te that this is another lock that has a low wall, make sure you lower your fenders. The upstream elevation here is 286 feet above sea level and the downstream is 278 feet. The lock master can be reached on VHF radio channel 13 or by phone at (518) 922-6173. It is another 7.9 miles to Lock E14. Traveling by boat to Lock 13 is far easier than by car or foot. Lock 13 was built in a rural area, and during the construction of the NYS Thruway (Interstate 90), the lock was cut-off from nearby roads. Vehicles can now only access the lock via the Thruway. There is a small tunnel under the Thruway that allows walking to the lock. Parking is found adjacent to the Thruway at the end of Old River Road West, just before the gated access to the NYS Thruway Maintenance Barn. The land-side access is the most unusual of all the NYS canal locks. Lock 13, like most locks along the Mohawk River, utilized a gas powered electric generators. During the early 1900s there was no local electricity available for the lock to use. Thus two two 50 KW turbines were installed. Those traveling the Thruway notice this building, intact and relatively unchanged from its construction nearly 100 years ago. It is located quite a distance away from the lock itself, which kept smoke, noise and other unpleasant byproducts of the gas engines away from the lock tenders. It also moved the building further away from the flood plain. Most locks that do not have an associated movable dam adjacent to them utilized hydro-power, but those along the Mohawk River could not benefit from the clean electricity. During the winter the dam's gates needed to be lifted, and with the water lowered, the hydro generators could not operate. Therefore at these locations gas generators were installed, and this provided power on demand. The downside of these gas generators was that they needed to be operated almost constantly. Lock operation, lighting, operation of tools, cooking, and all other electrical needs required that the engines. There were two generators at each power station along the canal, this allowed continual operation during the event of a failure or maintenance. If both generators went down, the lock are able to be operated manually, but this is a slow process.
    Close
  • National Shrine of Kateri Tekakwitha

    3628 St Hwy 5, Fonda

    (518) 853-3646

    Website | Directions

    The first Native American saint in North America, Kateri Tekakwitha, lived in Caughnawaga (present-day Fonda) from 1666, when she was ten years old, until 1677, when she fled on foot to Kahnawake, a Christian village in Quebec, Canada, to live the remaining three years of her life. Kateri was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1980. In 2012, Pope Benedict XVI approved the second miracle needed for Kateri to be named a Roman Catholic saint (the 2006 healing of a boy using relics from Kateri’s grave and prayers for her intercession.) She was canonized as a patron saint of the environment and ecology by Benedict XVI at Saint Peter’s Basilica in 2012. Her shrine includes a rustic chapel in an 18th-century Dutch barn and displays of artifacts from the only fully excavated Mohawk village of that era. Nearby flows the holy spring in which she was baptized. Many pilgrims claim cures after drawing its crystal clear water and praying through the intercession of Saint Kateri.
    Close
  • Nelliston Historic District

    Prospect, River, Railroad and Berthoud streets, Nelliston

    Directions

    Nelliston Historic District is a national historic district including 56 contributing buildings. It encompasses three of Nelliston’s residential streets developed between 1860 and 1890. It also includes the area along the railroad tracks containing two freight houses and the 1902 railroad station. Notable residential structures include the Abram Nellis Mansion, a brick 2-story Italianate style dwelling dated to the 1860s. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
    Close
  • Old Fort Johnson

    Junction of Route 5 and Route 67 in Fort Johnson, NY, about 1 mile west of Amsterdam, NY

    (518) 843-0300

    Website | Directions

    Old Fort Johnson, the 1749 fortified limestone home of Sir William Johnson, is representative of the best of colonial architecture. No other home of a prominent New York citizen of the colonial period has survived so untouched by the changes of style and time. This National Historic Landmark is owned and operated by the Montgomery County Historical Society, a private, non-profit organization established to collect and preserve Mohawk Valley history. It is the Society’s intent to present the Fort as close to the way it was during Sir William’s lifetime as can now be determined. Most furnishings are contemporary to Johnson’s time, and a number of items are from the Johnson family. The Fort also houses exhibits that include a collection of Native American artifacts focusing on the Mohawk Valley; the Betsey Reynolds Voorhees room, which articulates the life and times of a prominent 19th-century lady; the attic, which holds pieces that tell the history of Montgomery County; and a rare 18th century privy. Events at this Location May 16, ’15 10:00am – May 16, ’15 4:00pm – Impressions of Old Fort Johnson Open House
    Close
  • Old Grist Mill

    1679 Mill Road Saint Johnsville, NY 13452-3911

    (518) 568-2388

    Website | Directions

    This 3-story old grist mill constructed in 1835 of limestone has three secret rooms below the basement floor that were used as waiting rooms for the Underground Railroad. Each night when it was dark, the water to the 30-foot waterwheel was turned off and the 3-foot square, 1,000-foot long tunnel became an escape route for fleeing slaves. The grist mill is used as an ice cream and billiards parlor in a complex of historic vacation cottages overlooking a stone-encased natural gorge. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
    Close
  • Palatine Bridge Freight House

    East of Palatine Bridge on NY 5

    Directions

    Palatine Bridge Freight House is a historic freight depot in a rectangular limestone building constructed in the mid-1850s. It measures 300 feet long and is a fine example of a mid 19th century storage house. It has a low slope gable roof with overhanging eaves. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
    Close
  • Palatine Church

    East of Palatine Bridge on NY 5, Nelliston

    (518) 993-3539

    Website | Directions

    A beautiful stone church built by the Palatine Lutherans in 1770, the Palatine Church is a small, rectangular, one-story structure with massive stone walls. It features a traditional meetinghouse plan. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Open by appointment.
    Close
  • Pawling Hall

    86 Pawling Street, Hagaman

    Directions

    Pawling Hall is an historic meeting hall built in 1891. Its simple two-story, brick masonry frame features an Italianate gable roof. It incorporates a meeting hall, small performance stage and village government offices. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
    Close
  • Private Homes on the National Register of Historic Places

    School Street, Nelliston

    Directions

    Montgomery County has a wealth of private homes that have survived more than a century, many of which are listed with the National Register of Historic Places. For a full listing visit the National Register of Historic Places website or the National Register of Historic Places Wikipedia listing, which includes photographs and Google maps links.  
    Close
  • Saint Johnsville Community House

    16 Washington St., St. Johnsville

    Website | Directions

    The Saint Johnsville Community House includes village offices located in the 1869 Italianate high-Victorian Bates-Englehardt Mansion. With Austrian crystal chandeliers and original period rooms, a brick solarium was added in 1916 and enlarged and converted to an auditorium in 1934. The original Italianate style flat roof with cupola was replaced in 1916 with a Georgian style roof. The front entrance features a Colonial Revival style porch added in 1909. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. Open week days 8AM-4PM.
    Close
  • Saint Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church

    42, 46, 50 Cornell Street; 73 Reid Street, Amsterdam

    Directions

    Saint Stanislaus is an historic Roman Catholic church complex consisting of the church (1897), St. Stanislaus School (1906), convent (1934) and rectory (1940). The church is a “T” shaped brick building on a foundation of cut limestone. A transept was added in 1912. It features an engaged bell tower with pyramidal roof and finials. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
    Close
  • Samuel Sweet Canal Store

    65 Bridge Street, Amsterdam

    Directions

    Samuel Sweet Canal Store is an historic commercial building constructed about 1847. It is a three-story, rectangular building measuring approximately 30 feet by 70 feet, built of rough cut, pale grey limestone with a shallow, pitched gable roof. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
    Close
  • Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site

    PO BOX 140 129 Schoharie Street Fort Hunter

    Janice Fontanella

    (518) 829-7516

    janice.fontanella@parks.ny.gov

    Website | Directions

    Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site is the only location where visitors can witness three of the major phases of the Erie Canal construction. The site contains a portion of the original Clinton's Ditch" canal as well as several features from the enlarged canal such as locks and the remains of the Schoharie Creek Aqueduct. Schoharie Crossing is also adjacent to the Erie Canal of today. Much of the site is along the Schoharie Creek and Mohawk River and features not only nature trails and history but also great recreational opportunities. Come picnic or paddle from the boat launch, or enjoy a stroll on the miles of towpath trails. Bring your bike and peddle east or west on the Canalway Bike Path that connects to the site. Stop into the Visitor Center for more information and a trail map. Hours: Grounds Dawn until Dusk All Year – Visitor Center May 1st – October 31st
    Close
  • Shrine of Our Lady of Martyrs

    136 Shrine Rd., Fultonville (Auriesville) 12072

    518-630-9922

    Website | Directions

    The site of the Mohawk village of Ossernenon, the Shrine of Our Lady of Martyrs, established in 1885, honors the martyrdom of three Jesuit missionaries and is the birthplace of Roman Catholic Saint Kateri Tekakwitha. Individuals and groups are welcome to visit the Coliseum church, museums, chapels, gardens, gift shop, and picnic pavilion. Sunday and daily Masses, annual St. Isaac Jogues Youth Conference and scheduled special pilgrimages. May-October, open dawn to dusk.
    Close
  • Stone Arabia Churches

    Route 10, Stone Arabia

    (518) 993-2709

    Website | Directions

    The Stone Arabia churches are a pair of 18th-century churches standing side by side in a small rural hamlet: The Dutch Reformed Church, a stone structure, erected in 1788, and Trinity Lutheran Church, constructed of wood, built in 1792. An 18th century burial ground lies a short distance from the churches. Colonel Brown’s Cemetery is the 18th-century burial site of Colonel Brown and others who lost their lives in the Revolutionary War Battle of Stone Arabia. The Reformed Dutch Church of Stone Arabia was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977 and the Trinity Lutheran Church in 2005. Open Sundays 1-4pm
    Close
  • Temple of Israel

    8 Mohawk Place, Amsterdam

    Website

    Temple of Israel is an historic Jewish temple built in 1901 in a late Victorian style. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
    Close
  • Town of Florida Veterans Memorial Park

    214 Fort Hunter Road, Amsterdam NY

    (518) 842-4987

    Website | Directions

    The Town of Florida Veterans Memorial Park provides a venue for visitors to follow a historic timeline paying tribute to our Nation’s Veterans. Monuments recall World War II, Korea, Vietnam, in addition to a main monument and one recognizing K9 service dogs. For the Spring of 2015, dedication of a monument for Operation Enduring Freedom and placement of steel from Tower 2 of the World Trade Center is planned.
    Close
  • Tribes Hill Heritage Center

    Tribes Hill, NY

    Marjorie (Dance) Heacock

    (518) 829-7031

    danceheacock@outlook.com

    Close
  • US Post Office in Amsterdam

    Church Street, Amsterdam

    Directions

    The US Post Office in Amsterdam was built in 1935–1936 by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department under Louis A. Simon. It consists of a 2.5-story, symmetrically massed brick building with 1-story side wings and a large rear wing in the Colonial Revival style. The interior features a pair of 1939 murals by Henry Schnakenberg (1892–1970). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
    Close
  • US Post Office in Canajoharie

    50 West Main Street, Canajoharie

    Directions

    The historic US Post Office in Canajoharie was built in 1937 by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department under Louis A. Simon. It is a one-story, symmetrical brick building on a stone watertable in the Colonial Revival style. It features a gable roof with a square, flat topped cupola with Doric order pilasters and round-arched vent openings. The interior features a 1942 mural by Anatol Shulkin (1899-1961) titled Invention of the Paper Bag in Canajoharie. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
    Close
  • US Post Office in Fort Plain

    41 River Street, Fort Plain

    Directions

    The historic US Post Office in Fort Plain was built in 1931 by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department under James A. Wetmore. It is a two-story, symmetrical brick building with a one-story rear wing in the Colonial Revival style. It features a shallow projecting frontispiece framed by four brick pilasters and a pair of Grecian style lamps with glass globes. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
    Close
  • US Post Office in Saint Johnsville

    Main Street, St. Johnsville

    Directions

    The US Post Office in Saint Johnsville was built in 1936 by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department under Louis A. Simon. It is a one-story, symmetrical brick building on a stone watertable in the Colonial Revival style. It features a copper-clad gable roof with a square, flat topped cupola with a weathervane. The interior features a 1940 mural by Jirayr H. Zorthian (1911-2004) titled “Early St. Johnsville Pioneers.” It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
    Close
  • Van Alstyne Homestead Society and Museum

    42 Moyer St, Canajoharie

    (315) 269-2198

    Website | Directions

    Van Alstyne Homestead Society and Museum is a fortified homestead, typical of 18th-century Dutch architecture, featuring colonial artifacts, furnishings and 19th century images of historic sites by artist Rufus Grider. The long, low rectangular fieldstone house was built in 1730 with a steeply pitched gambrel roof and a garrett under the roof. A 2.5-story frame addition runs across the rear. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Open Saturdays 12pm-4pm, May 23 to September 5 Events at this Location Jun 06, ’15 1:00pm – Jun 06, ’15 4:00pm – National Dairy Month Celebration at the Homestead Jun 13, ’15 1:00pm – Jun 13, ’15 4:00pm – 2nd Annual Picnic Day at the Homestead
    Close
  • Windfall Dutch Barn

    Hamlet of Salt Springville, NY (Co Rd 31)

    (607) 264-3996

    Website | Directions

    The Windfall Dutch Barn is a pre-revolutionary restored structure, seated on its original site, located in the hamlet of Salt Springville, NY (Co Rd 31). This site was used as a resting and feeding place during the Revolutionary War wagon march by General Clinton on the way to the Susquehanna River, with 3,000 patriots and 400 boats loaded on wagons. Summer concerts, poetry readings.
    Close